Identity Protection Resources

If you suspect your identity and personal information have been compromised, you should take action immediately. These steps will help minimize any damage that can be caused by identity theft.

Contact Us
  • Keep all your records and document all communications: Whenever you speak to or correspond with a creditor or government agency, make note of the date and name of the person you contacted. Follow all telephone contacts with a letter and keep a copy for yourself. 
  • Notify all creditors and financial institutions: Alert them in writing and by phone that your name and accounts have been used without permission. If an existing account has been compromised, ask for new cards, checks and account numbers. Monitor all accounts carefully and report fraudulent activity immediately. 
  • Report the crime to local police: Provide them with as much documentation as possible, including a list of all accounts. Request a copy of the police report because credit card companies, banks and credit reporting agencies may want to see a police report to support your claim that a crime was committed against you.
  • Report the crime to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC): The FTC collects and stores complaints about identity theft and makes them available to law enforcement agencies worldwide. The FTC provides information on ways to resolve problems resulting from identity theft and refers individuals to various private and government agencies for further action. Here's how to contact them: 

    Federal Trade Commission
    Identity Theft Clearinghouse 
    600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
    Washington, DC  20580


  • Contact the fraud units of the three agencies: 
    Trans Union Credit Services (800.680.7289)
    Equifax Credit Services (800.525.6285)
    Experian Credit Service (888.397.3742)

    Ask these agencies to place a "fraud alert" on your credit report to help prevent new fraudulent accounts from being opened. You are entitled to a free copy of your credit report if you are a victim of identity theft.