- Moving expenses can add up quickly. Account for the typical costs.
- A budget calculator can help you plan.
- Add a buffer to your moving budget for glitches or delays.
- Consider opening a United savings account to help you set money aside for your move.
Whether you’re moving across the street or across the country, there’s so much to consider. What do you keep—and what do you sell or donate? How do you get everything you need from Point A to Point B? The process involves so many steps, including one that’s often overlooked: budgeting for moving expenses that can really add up. Brush up on the most common moving expenses and use our United budget calculator to help you avoid surprises.
1. Packing Supplies
- Plastic bins
- Tissue or bubble wrap for fragile items
- Packing tape
- Labels or markers
2. Moving Services
- Moving truck
- Equipment (wheeled cart, hand truck, dolly)
- Professional movers, including tips
- Moving insurance
3. Interim Storage
- Portable container storage outside your home
- Storage unit nearby
4. Temporary Accommodations
- Extended childcare
- Pet boarding
- Restaurant or takeout meals
5. Cleaning/Lawn Care Services
- Moving out of your old place
- Moving into your new place
- What must be done to move out of your old place
- What must be done to move into your new place
- Cancellation and other final fees for the place you’re moving from
- Deposits and installation fees for the place you’re moving to
Even the best-planned move can be delayed by factors outside your control. What if an essential item you order doesn’t arrive on time? What if movers or another service shifts? Try to add a little buffer to your moving budget to make a snag or two less stressful.United is here to help you set money aside through a range of savings account options. Just schedule an appointment online.